Sunday, August 30, 2009

I made it!

I made it here and it is absolutely beautiful! Most of the buildings are super old and made of stone. This is a picture I took from the roof of our building. In the very center of the picture you can see the city wall around the Old City of Jerusalem. It's actually a lot closer than it looks. My room is right next to the roof. I have to climb a lot of stairs to get there, but it is so worth it. 






I've tried to upload pictures for the past couple days and it takes like a year to get each one up, so I'm only putting these two up for now. The picture to the left is my dorm room. There were two bunk beds for the two of us, so we took the top mattresses and put them on the bottom for extra cushion and then used the top for storage. There is a mural of Jesus on the ceiling, I'll have to post of a picture of that later.
Anyways, the campus is absolutely gorgeous. The building is so old and its all made of stone. There are gardens with grapes growing over the little patio area. I didn't realize how close the school was to the Old City. It is like a 2 minute walk because we are right outside the wall on Mount Zion, but we have to walk to Jaffa Gate to get in. Today we had a little tour through the Old City and it was AWESOME. We walked a ton of stairs and got on rooftops in different places to see the valleys and buildings around us. We also went to the site of Christ's burial (or where most people believe it to be), the believed site of the Last Supper, and other really neat places. I got to walk in a tomb that would have been like the one Jesus was put in. There were so many places to see and so many great views of the city. Too bad I forgot to bring my camera. :( I'll get pictures later, since all of the places were free to go in and they're like 5 minutes away.
We went on a scavenger hunt through the city and I tried a falafel. It wasn't great. I don't think I'll be getting another soon. The pita bread in the market was good though. I went to church this morning at St. Andrew's Scottish Church and it was good. We all drank out of the same cup for communion and I had never done that before. There was also wine instead of grape juice, so that was pretty nasty. But overall it was a great experience.
I start classes tomorrow, but I only have two and I'm done by noon.
Sorry this update is so scatter-brained. I'll try to make them flow better in the future.
Anyways, I'll update later when I have better pictures to put up, but for now this will have to do.

2 comments:

  1. I loved seeing those two pictures and hearing a little about your experience thus far. So excited to see what else is in store for you! Missing you here on campus. Have fun!!
    Elise

    ReplyDelete
  2. yay! I'm so excited for you (and more than a little jealous of your experiences). It sounds amazing! Remember to start carrying around your camera because I want to see/experience everything when you get back home! Love you! -Kelly

    ReplyDelete