Sunday, September 6, 2009

An OT and NT view of Jerusalem: Part 2

We also got to sit in an ancient Byzantine home. It is just one small room, and the bed is made of stone. 

These are the main stairs up to the Temple Mount. 

This is where Gamaliel taught and where Paul and Jesus taught from at one point in time. I’m pretty sure this was my favorite place that we went today. Here I am at the top of the stairs where Paul and Christ have almost certainly been. 

This is an old house. Notice the toilet in the lower right hand side. 

We went to Hezekiah’s tunnel, which I will explain in greater detail in the next post when I get those pictures. But we only walked through the dry tunnel, called the Canaanite tunnel. This is one of the wider sections of the Canaanite tunnel. 

Our last stop was the pool of Siloam. This is the place in John 9 where Jesus healed a blind beggar by putting mud on his eyes and telling him to wash it off in the pool. Here I am inside the pool next to the steps leading down to it. (They haven’t excavated it all the way.) I’d say that this was a close second for my favorite spot of the day. 
The field study lasted all day and it was a lot of walking in the heat. We took a few stops like the one below for our guide to explain some things and for us to catch our breath. Chris, a grad student, was our guide and Dr. Wright took all of the first year grad students and married people. So our group was all of the undergrads. It was a lot of fun. (P.S. I think the guy in the bright blue shirt and sunglasses looks a little bit like Kyle.)  

Other places we went to, but I didn’t take pictures of include the “broad wall” that Hezekiah built, which increased the size of Jerusalem by five times, and the arches on the Via Dolorosa route.

Overall, it was great day and I can’t believe I do these almost every weekend that I’m here!

No comments:

Post a Comment