Thursday, September 10, 2009

Quick trip to the Temple Mount.

This morning nine of us took a quick trip to the Temple Mount. Its like a ten minute walk from campus and free. The Temple Mount is where the Dome of the Rock (a muslim mosque) is today. It was interesting to me that Jews are not allowed to go up to the Dome of the Rock because they might walk near where the Holy of Holies used to be, and according to the big sign, it is "Against Torah Law." We also were not allowed to bring our Bibles because apparently the Muslims there do not tolerate the Jewish history of the area.
The Dome of the Rock is where muslims believe Muhammad ascended into heaven. We obviously weren't allowed to go inside the mosque, but we were allowed to go up to it and touch it and walk around the Temple Mount. It is so hard for me to grasp the fact that the Ark of the Covenant and the Holy of Holies were once in (or very near) the place that I walked around this morning.

Here I am in front of the Dome of the Rock. My black jacket is not because I'm cold, it's to cover my elbows for modesty.
And here it is by itself.



No comments:

Post a Comment